Selecting the next round of Compass Commissions
Applications for the next round of Compass Commissions have now closed. All applicants will be notified by Friday 29 September, and shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview on Thursday 5 or Tuesday 10 October. The commissioned artists will be announced later in October.
Compass Commissions is The Greenwich Dance & Trinity Laban Partnership’s flagship artist development scheme supporting selected UK-based artists throughout the process of creation. The programme enables innovative concepts to thrive by offering a unique set of resources; cash funds, extensive creation space, advice and production development support. The performances that follow welcome new and existing audiences and raise the standards of productions available for national and international touring.
The Greenwich Dance & Trinity Laban Partnership looks forward to a range of submissions by artists who may or may not have a previous relationship with either or both organisations. We hope that the simplicity of the online application form will render the process as unintimidating as possible.
For this round of Compass Commissions, we will make one or more commission for projects that will culminate in performance(s) in 2018. We are open to applications focusing on the creation of new works for a range of audiences (including families), but have a particular interest in work to be presented initially at Laban Theatre, The Borough Hall or a location in Royal Borough of Greenwich with plans to tour more widely in the future.
The Commissions will be supported by:
• A minimum of £3000 commission fee
• Rehearsal facilities for up to 4 weeks at Greenwich Dance or Trinity Laban to include up to 3 days of production time and technical support
• Sharing opportunities mid-process as appropriate
• Performance opportunities as appropriate.
• To apply for Compass Commissions you need to be a UK-based dance artist or company and permitted to work within the UK.
• Compass Commissions are for newly conceived work. Work which has already been developed and presented will not be considered, however work at an early stage of research and development will be.
• We welcome applications from artists at various stages of their careers.
• Rehearsal and production time must be agreed by the artist and the commissioners by January 2018. Any performances must have taken place no later than 31 August 2018.
Your proposal, either written, video or both should include:
• What you propose for this commission – your idea, who it involves, how you will make it happen.
• Any other supporters or partners you have already identified.
• Some context – this could be a brief biography, examples of recent performance work, your approach or ongoing areas of investigation.
• The project timescale.
• Your intended audience.
• An indication of how the commissioning fund will be used.
Applications have now closed. All applicants will be contacted on or before Friday 29th September, by which time a shortlist of artists will be agreed. Shortlisted artists will be invited to discuss their submission in person to a selection panel on 5th and 10th October 2017. The selection panel will include: Kat Bridge (Artistic Director, Greenwich Dance), Brian Brady (Head of Laban Theatre Programme, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance) and Lydia Wharf (Producer, Compass Commissions)
Please see our FAQ section.
The Greenwich Dance & Trinity Laban Partnership
Greenwich Dance and Trinity Laban together generate innovative projects designed to support dance artists, inspire new audiences and create outstanding dance opportunities for young people. The Partnership attracts National Portfolio funding from Arts Council England.